I have one more book I plan to read before truly sitting down to write my thesis prospectus, Stuart Kaufman’s Modern Hatreds: The Symbolic Politics of Ethnic War.
In the first pages of the book, the author provides this handy guide to nationalism which is very appropriate for my own work. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
A Beginner’s Guide to Ethnic Politics
1. If an area was ours for 500 years and yours for 50 years, it should belong to us – your are merely occupiers.
2. If an area was yours for 500 years and ours for 50 years, it should belong to us – borders must not be changed.
3. If an area belonged to us 500 years ago but never since then, it should belong to us – it is the Cradle of our Nation.
4. If a majority of our people live there, it must belong to us – they must enjoy the right of self-determination.
5. If a minority of our people live there, it must belong to us – they must be protected against your oppression.
6. All of the above rules apply to us but not to you.
7. Our dream of greatness is Historical Necessity, yours is Fascism.